These are 20 things that are essential for the leading career woman to know within operating in their respective career environments. These are a list of 20 beneficial advice tips towards creating a better work experience for yourself and those around you.
1. Lasting success is created by good habits, which are very often destroyed by bad excuses.
2. Hold a grudge and it will hold you back.
3. Goals are short-lived, but virtues are timeless.
4. The most important professional asset you have is your reputation.
5. When you understand there are biological reasons that explain why you act the way you do, you won’t feel as crazy.
6. Careers (like diets) don’t start tomorrow. Tomorrow’s dreams are only achieved by today’s action.
7. Sometimes having the right answer is less important than having the right attitude.
8. Not everyone will like you, especially if you have moxie.
9. Authentic outer power comes from authentic inner power.
10. Nice execs finish first. Be kind to people and hard on results.
11. The moment you use sexy to get ahead is the moment you make yourself disposable.
12. The vast majority of decisions affecting your career will happen behind closed doors when you’re not in the room.
Emily Bennington is a frequent speaker on the topic of career success. She is a contributing writer for Monster.com, a featured blogger for The Huffington Post, Forbes Woman, and US News and World Report and author of Effectively Immediately and Who Says It’s a Man’s World, from which this article is excerpted.